“Junk food is a pejorative term for food containing the large number of calories from sugar or fat with little dietary fiber, vitamins, protein or minerals”.
The term also can refer to high protein food like meat prepared with saturated fat. Food from many pizza places, hamburger joints and fried chicken outlets is often considered junk food.
The concerns about the negative health effects resulting from a junk food-heavy diet, especially obesity, have resulted in public health awareness campaigns and restrictions on advertising and sale in several countries.
List of some Junk Foods is below:
Over the past few decades, samosas, Vada pav, doughnuts, pizzas, burgers, rolls, wraps, Frankie’s, French fries, etc. have penetrated every corner our country. You step out of your house and you’ll see them being served everywhere from restaurants, hotels, malls, and roadside corners to office and college canteens.
But have you ever thought why are they called ‘junk food’? The word ‘junk’ refers to something that is useless and extra. And all your favourite, delicious foods do complete justice to what the name signifies. The consequences that these junk foods have on your health are terrible, irrespective of whether you have them once in a while, twice in a week or every day.
Take a look at how these junk foodsthat play a crucial role in deteriorating your health.
Junk food may be the reason behind your fatigue: Although fast food and junk food makes you feel full and satisfied, they lack all the necessary nutrients like carbohydrates and proteins to keep your body energized and healthy.If you eat junk food every time when you’re hungry, you may feel chronically fatigued. It can lower your energy levels to an extent that it may become so difficult for you to even perform your daily tasks.
Junk food may lead to depression in teenagers: A lot of hormonal changes take place in teenagers which makes them susceptible to mood swings and behavioral changes. A healthy diet plays an important role to maintaining that hormonal balance because junk food lack those essential nutrients, the likelihood of teenagers to suffer from depression is increased by 58 %.
It impairs digestion: Those who are addicted to fatty junk food are bound to have digestive problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)because junk food is deep fried. So, the oil from the junk food gets deposited in the stomach and causing acidity. They cause irritation of the stomach lining because they are too spicy & they also lack fiber which is important for proper digestion.
It affects the brain function: A study published in the journal Behavior, Brainand Immunity shows that one week of eating junk food is enough to trigger memory impairment in rats. Recent research suggests that bad fats (trans fats) from junk food tends to replace healthy fats inbrain and interferes with its normal signaling mechanism.
Side Effects of Junk Foods:
Have you ever before wondered what does the term “junk” mean? Junk refers to a collection of miscellaneous items of waste materials or little value. Well, “junk food” is any high caloric food which provides a lot of fat, sodium, cholesterol or sugar with little or no nutrients; meaning any food of low nutritional value. Examples of such foods include fast fried foods and salted snack foods such as potato chips, sweets such as ice cream, candy, sugary carbonated beverages, donuts, and many others.
Junk foods are usually offered anytime and everywhere at very low cost, especially in supermarkets, malls, and cinemas. However, keep in mind that those fast foods help you save money and time, at the expense of your health. If not consumed in moderation; they can lead the following health risks:
- Lack and Fatigue the energy; since these foods contain a little number of vitamins, proteins, and minerals.
- Obesity; higher intake of sugar and fat lead to decreased intake of healthy food choices, thus leading to obesity
- Heart disease, stroke, hypertension and elevated levels of blood cholesterol and triglycerides; high level of saturated or trans fats and salt found in fried fast foods can clog the arteries &, over time, contribute to high triglycerides and cholesterol levels, thus leading to many chronic diseases
- Type 2 diabetes; because junk food doesn’t contain the protein or complex carbohydrates that your body needs to maintain consistent blood sugar levels, your blood sugar levels after eating will immediately spike and then drop suddenly soon. This process will lead to type 2 diabetes in the long run.
- Impaired digestion;Sugary carbonated beverages and deep-fried junk foods lead to many digestive problems like reflux, stomach pain, ulcer, diarrhea or constipation
- It affects your brain function; by triggering the memory impairment and interfering with normal brain function.
- You can see the video about junk foods